The Skinny on Work Visas in the USA

Do you want to work in the United States this summer? Be sure to confirm proper working papers before applying with employers in the US.

One of the following non-immigrant Work Visas is required for temporary work by foreign students in the US:

  • J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor's Visa) - work up to 4 months
  • F-1 Visa - participate in an internship for up to 18 months

Make your US work experience easier!
Team up with CIEE (the Council on International Educational Exchange) to facilitate proper work visas. You can find them online at:

For more information on International employment: Tips for International Employment: What You Must Know
The Country-By-Country Guide: For Work Permit and Visa Information


Working in the United States
What you'll need: visa, work permit

Remember, a visa does not guarantee entry into the country. Before you can apply for a visa, your employer must receive approval for a work permit (employment authorization document). Detailed information on US work visas is available online at: We also strongly suggest that you contact your local consulate or embassy for more information.



Canadian nationals Embassy of the US in Canada
UK nationals Embassy of US in UK
Australian nationals Embassy of US in Australia
All nationals Temporary Work Visas
  Department of State (Bureau of Consular Affairs)
  Bureau of Citizenship